[Act 2] [Scene 10] [Homecoming]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 2] [Scene 10] [Homecoming]

Post by thirtythr33 »

The five of you ride quickly across the countryside, only stopping briefly to ask for directions every few villages. The occasional river crossing by ferry is the only respite for your grumbling stomachs and weary horses. You make it to the mainland of Venice lagoon shortly before sunset, just in time to catch one of the last ferries to the city for the day.

Your train of horses are a strange sight in the narrow cobble streets of Venice. Thundering down alleys and over bridges, your saddle-sore horses are given a wide berth by any hapless local on the streets. You arrive at the Acerbi household, your mounts flagging and sweating as you dismount. The last of the evening sun is beginning to fade and you see a single light lit in the dining room.

You enter to find Giacomo seated at the table alone. The table is cleared, except for the candles and a pitcher of wine and half full goblet next to Giacomo's hand. He is wearing his characteristic black robes but his beret is bunched up in one of his hands and his hair is messy. His face is flushed and colored by blood shot eyes and ruddy cheeks. "Marco..." he says weakly when you walk in.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: [Act 2] [Scene 10] [Homecoming]

Post by Korbel »

"Good to see you again!"

This long ride was really too much for Marco, his body not accustomed to spending full days in saddle. As a result, the pain he's experiencing makes his stepping quite stiff.

"Listen Giacomo, where's Lucio Monte? Where's our father? You won't believe what we've found out!"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Giacomo lurches to his feet, knocking the goblet and sending it rocking but it stabilized before it tips over. "Marco..." He takes a deep breath. "Father has passed on." He extends his arms and walks to Marco to embrace his brother in sorrow.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Marco was just standing there, in his brother's arms, staring bluntly at the wall. Only after a while Giacomo has realized he could hear him, very quietly repeating the same question.

"Where is Lucio Monte?"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Giacomo gives Marco a long heartfelt hug and sniff his running nose. "No Marco, there's nothing else that can be done. Lucio and Cirillo have done all they can." He releases Marco from his embrace and holds him at arms length. "He passed two days ago in his sleep. The doctors tell me it was peaceful."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Through clenched teeth, Marco says slowly:

"It was him. Lucio Monte was behind the poisoning. Tell me, where is he now."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

"What? He's in the guestroom. He offered to help with the funeral arrangements." Giacomo doesn't seem to fully understand what Marco said. "But it's not his fault Marco, he's been helping father the whole time."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

What Giacomo is saying, it doesn't really matter for Marco anymore. Now there's only one thing in his mind. Guestroom. And find Lucio Monte.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

You find Lucio in the guestroom seated at the dresser and writing a letter. He looks up to you when you enter the doorway. "Oh Marco." He stands.

Giacomo has followed and stands in the hall behind you.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Squeeze him and he will confess...

Marco knows he's not a tough, frightening guy, standing little chance to intimidate Lucio. But he cannot stop now. So there's only one way... furiously, he charges forward, attempting to punch Lucio in the face, and when they both fall to the ground, he's attacking still.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?! WHY?!?"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Marco's first blow lands heavily on Lucio's face, making his head snap back in response. As the two tumble the ground, Lucio curls into a defensive position and covers his head. "Marco! STOP!" He wails.

Giacomo pushes into the room. "What in God's name are you doing Marco!?"
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

But Marco is not going to stop.

"YOU KNEW EVERYTHING! WHY DID YOU LET MY FATHER DIE?!?"
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ferran somehow manages to get between the two men, only to catch a punch in the mouth. The Catalan spits blood, glares at Marco, yet he remains composed.

"You need answers Marco. Of all us do. NOT THIS!" And points at Lucio sprawling on the floor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Marco stands up, breathing heavily from the previous activity.

"Yes, we need..." - he tries to calm down a bit - "...answers. Make him speak, then."
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ferran nods. Then speaks to Giorgio. "Make sure we are not interrupted here mate."

The Catalan picks up Monte and helps him sit, then takes a seat beside him.

"We did ask assistance as you directed us Lucio. You want to know what we've learned? That you were aware of everything the whole time. Marco - and I think Giacomo too - want to hurt you for what's been done. It's only natural since they lost their father."

Ferran removes the scarf around his neck and displays his grizzly wound. He then speaks very softly, as if Lucio was a child.

"I on the other hand won't be so merciful. I'm only going to kill you very slowly. You see, I nearly lost my life senor in that fool's errand you sent us. So better start talking, if you want to see the sun rise another day."
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone