Multiple wounds in the same area and wound impact

Anything related to personal combat and archaic weapons
pepe_andre
Recruit

Multiple wounds in the same area and wound impact

Post by pepe_andre »

Hey there,
I was able to study the new release of the S&S-rules for a while now and though I have no group right now to play with I have a question regarding the wounds-mechanic.
Is it possible to suffer the same wound twice? I couldn't find any ruling that said otherwise but am not fully convinced that this is true.
Imagine this: In a skirmish a character get's an arrow to the belly resulting in a Lv4 wound. In the next scene the same happens again. How would you deal with this?
I could imagine to just push the wound level one step further instead, since the character only suffers from the highest wound, but then again I would like to have every wound treated individual in my games (for the extra simulation fun).
This lead to my next question: Is the impact effect of a wound only active for one scene or would a character have to deal with a Lv5 wound impact for the rest of the skirmish? I would be surprised if a sword that bites into soldiers arm only causes unconveniece for one tempo and is then forgotten. How do you handel this?

Thanks in advance!
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Re: Multiple wounds in the same area and wound impact

Post by Benedict »

Welcome pepe_andre. :)

You record all wounds. You suffer Impact and effects per Wound, and count the highest TN shift due to Wounds. Meaning.
pepe_andre wrote:In a skirmish a character get's an arrow to the belly resulting in a Lv4 wound. In the next scene the same happens again. How would you deal with this?
Skirmish 1. He gets arrow in the belly. Lv4 Piercing Wound. Impact4, BL2, KD2, C, BTN6.
He loses 4CP until Refresh, loses 2 Blood segments immediately plus another per five minutes, must pass a KD test, and rolls at 6.

Next Scene - given he still lives - he gets another arrow in the belly. Lv4 Piercing Wound. Impact4, BL2*, KD2, C, BTN6.
He loses 4CP until Refresh, loses 2 Blood segments immediately plus another per two and a half minutes (bleeding is cumulative), must pass a KD test, and rolls at 6.

Wounds are tracked individually for their individual effects and Impact. They don't upgrade your current Wound level. Meaning that if you suffer a Lv4 and multiple Lv3s you record all and calculate effects and Impact per wound individually, but you roll against the worst wound and suffer the worst TN shift. In this case Wound Lv4/BTN6.
pepe_andre wrote:This lead to my next question: Is the impact effect of a wound only active for one scene or would a character have to deal with a Lv5 wound impact for the rest of the skirmish?
Impact applies untill Refresh. Each start of Round (Skirmish) or Play (Full Melee) you refresh your CP to its original value. Examples:

You have CP10.
1. You want to shoot an archer but he shoots you first inflicting a Lv4 Pierce Wound. Impact4 BTN6. You reduce CP by 4 (Impact value), hence you have 6 dice to resolve your shot.
2. As above, you shoot before the archer. You allocate all your 10 dice to the shot but miss. He shoots back inflicting a Lv4 Pierce Wound. Since you don't have enough CP to take Impact it carries over to the next Round. During Refresh you get 10 dice - 4 from Impact = 6 dice.

Same logic applies to Melee.

Hope that helps. ;)
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

I would be surprised if a sword that bites into soldiers arm only causes unconveniece for one tempo and is then forgotten. How do you handel this?
In addition, the long term effect from a wound is the TN shift during combat. Not the impact. So you are very much suffering from your wound in consecutive rounds by testing against a higher TN (that‘s „pain“ according to old TRoS vocabulary iIrc).
Last edited by EinBein on 05 Dec 2018, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Taking multiple wounds of the same severity can also make you bleed out faster, per page 231 of the current draft, under Blood Loss.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
pepe_andre
Recruit

Post by pepe_andre »

EinBein wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 12:08
I would be surprised if a sword that bites into soldiers arm only causes unconveniece for one tempo and is then forgotten. How do you handel this?
In addition, the long term effect from a wound is the TN shift during combat. Not the impact. So you are very much suffering from your wound in consecutive rounds by testing against a higher TN (that‘s „pain“ according to old TRoS vocabulary iIrc).
Yup, I realized this some time after posting this. But thanks for the clarification anyway!