Sword & Scoundrel 0.2.0 Feedback : Book IV : Tribulation

A brand new feedback forum for our massively revised draft!
thorgarth
Journeyman

Re: Sword & Scoundrel 0.2.0 Feedback : Book IV : Tribulation

Post by thorgarth »

Benedict wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 09:28
thorgarth wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 08:00 still the fact is that choosing to go with the 3d Heavy Blow+3DR TN5 instead of the 6d6 Swing TN5 more than triple the chance of not scoring a single success with any of the dice rolled, which would make the +3DR from Heavy Blow void
What you don't take into account is what a single die represents.

1d6 vs
TN2 : 83% hit
TN3 : 66% hit
TN4 : 50% hit
TN5 : 33% hit
TN6 : 16% hit

Which means that the higher the TN you are rolling under the better the return from Heavy Blow. Cos 1d=+1MoS by default for damage.
I get that Benedict. But having a 33% chance of MoS1 with 1 dice would mean that there was NO opposition... If there ´s opposition the chance decreases dramatically. You better hope the blow lands and make it count. It could be your very last attempt.

Need to do some runs to try it out. With your experience in the various iterations of the system you have a huge advantage over me, with the many, many, bouts you have fought already.

Cheers.
thorgarth
Journeyman

Re: Sword & Scoundrel 0.2.0 Feedback : Book IV : Tribulation

Post by thorgarth »

Agamemnon wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 11:29
Even if you're at TN3, each die you spend on your attack is going to end up something like 0.66 of a wound level. If you have a significant die advantage on your opponent, increased probability of success has diminishing returns compared to trading dice for damage at a 1:1 ratio.
If you have a significant dice advantage yes, I get the diminishing returns principle. Basically you either have a significant dice advantage,?when he can’t defend or when you gamble in attacking first, and decisively.

Need to try this out in the field of battle with my Ruviu’s Redhand and Jean-Claude, my test dummies.😈