Band of Bastards Play by Post interest?

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: Band of Bastards Play by Post interest?

Post by Korbel »

thirtythr33 wrote:I'm committing to starting this game on the 21st April. Use the time until then finishing up your characters with equipment and naming all your NPCs and relatives. We will be using the starting point I outlined above.
But aren't we waiting for more rules and prices? Ranged weapons, equipment, and so...
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

I think we have enough to get started. At the rate play by post goes, it could very well be a full month real time before we even get to the first combat.

Whatever I can't make a DM ruling on, I'm sure one of the very attentive developers will be able to chime in to help with.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

OK, tomorrow I'll try to finish my character.
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Unfortunately I was not able to finish Cirillo. The latest version is final but I still lack gear, some SAs and some NPC names. Sorry about that :(

I read through the Duellist's Kit last Friday and if I have enough money, I will get short sword, some sort of dagger and gambeson (if that was the armor allowed for civilians). I think I will have money for this kit unless my memory fails me.

I hope to finish this ASAP.
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

So, I've got a question in regards to our own personal funds. Would it make more sense if we weren't cashed out when we start, especially if we all have some form of employment?
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

DannyBoy wrote:So, I've got a question in regards to our own personal funds. Would it make more sense if we weren't cashed out when we start, especially if we all have some form of employment?
Actually, I tried to make my character without cashing out and it was very difficult to make a decent mercenary.

As a low freeman, I would only start with 12 sk. If I "cash out", I get 96 sk.

If the GM agrees, I would cash out and starts with:

Gambeson (7 sk, Torso, hips, pelvis, arms to the wrist)
Open helm (10 sk)
Zweihander (12 sk)
a wardrobe of common clothing
dagger

I would have 67 sk to begin with. I could use this money to pay the rent for the first month. I assume I just got into town when the story. As we are being hired as mercenary/bodyguard, I assume our salary could cover a cheap room in town.
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

Alex wrote:
Actually, I tried to make my character without cashing out and it was very difficult to make a decent mercenary.

As a low freeman, I would only start with 12 sk. If I "cash out", I get 96 sk.

If the GM agrees, I would cash out and starts with:

Gambeson (7 sk, Torso, hips, pelvis, arms to the wrist)
Open helm (10 sk)
Zweihander (12 sk)
a wardrobe of common clothing
dagger
One problem with your equipment is that you're not gonna be able to pack around a zweihander without getting arrested. The way I see it, we're more like babysitters for our noble patron than a professional fighting force, there to look intimidating and not much else. My character, as a non-cashed out low freeman, is armed with a katzbalger (counts as a shortsword), and only has a leather doublet for protection.
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

The way I see it, most time I will be wearing a gambeson and only a dagger.

A Zweihander is way too cumbersome to carry it around town.

I would carry it only if:
1) my patron expects some trouble and he wants me to act as an imposing bodyguard. With the presence of my patron, I should be fine legally.

2) I expect serious trouble (because he pissed off some powerful people and so on)

3) I plan to ambush someone (although a zweihander would not be my first choice for a sneak attack...)

For the last two cases, I run the risk of getting arrested if I do something conspicuous.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

DannyBoy wrote:So, I've got a question in regards to our own personal funds. Would it make more sense if we weren't cashed out when we start, especially if we all have some form of employment?
It would make more sense to have the trappings and income, but I will allow cashing out if you prefer.

If you have trappings and income, you live on the grounds of the Acerbi family or rent an apartment nearby. You are assumed to own any random possessions of someone of your social status.

If you cash out, you live out of an inn room in some poor part of town and don't currently have a permanent place of residence. You don't own anything except what is on your character sheet.

If you want a fully kitted out mercenary, then you really need to go up social class or take an edge that provides equipment or money. Your not supposed to be able to get sweet sweet armor with next to no investment.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

I made a roll20 game for us to do dice rolling and any other tabletop type stuff we might need.

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/detail ... ating-city

Also, I would like everyone to find a picture of what your character looks like (drawn by you, a historical portrait, or a modern actor you like are all fine!).
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

I created a new thread for my character Cirillo. It is pretty much like it is in another thread but I added some gear. I have to add some more like medicine kit.

Do I have to buy basic clothing or is it "fee"? I will add the modified background story later on. I chose cash out option as it makes more sense in my opinion since he left his life here in Venice some years ago, spent that time as a mercenary and got back just some months ago. He is working for the Acerbi family like suggested but maybe he just got the job and is not yet established enough to be granted living quarters at the family estate. If 33 thinks otherwise just let me know and I will adjust my starting gear.
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

thirtythr33 wrote: If you want a fully kitted out mercenary, then you really need to go up social class or take an edge that provides equipment or money. Your not supposed to be able to get sweet sweet armor with next to no investment.
I agree, but if you only buy a gambeson (7 sk) as a low freeman (12 sk per season), you only have 5 sk left...

So by cashing out, I can get an open helm with a gambeson and I don’t consider myself heavily armoured :)
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Is there room for one more character or is it closed? :)
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Benedict wrote:Is there room for one more character or is it closed? :)
Welcome to the forums! Yes, I think we can slot you in.

Write up a character, make a thread and come up with some ideas how they might be tied into the story.

Looking through the other character's threads to see what Story Aspects you could connect with and browsing the Info thread for information about Venice might be good places to start for character ideas if you don't have one already.
Korbel wrote:OK, so... has Marco ever seen them (Blasio & Giacomo) together? Can he remember such a thing? Does Francesca serve the dishes, or is she only a cook and stays in the kitchen? Has Blasio ever been eating meals in our house?

Another thing: is Rocco a big, strong man? Like Marras stated? And what about Blasio's physique?

Bonus question: what kind of complications do I get because of "Yes, but..."? Do I get and Enemy (Rocco) for free? Will you tell me, or is it a surprise? ;)
Blasio has eaten meals at the Acerbi house quite a few times. Francesca does sometimes do serving or house cleaning when required, although most of the time is spend in the kitchens. Information about a specific interaction between Blasio and Francesca might be remembered with a Memory test. Blasio is lithe and of average height.

Rocco is tall and muscular (but still smaller than Karl who has the Large edge). The complication was that Rocco decided to escalate the situation and generally make things a whole lot more difficult. You don't exactly have the Enemy (Rocco) edge, you could potentially repair a relationship with Rocco whereas Cirillo couldn't. He doesn't so much see you as an enemy directly, more as a possible barrier between him and his enemy Cirillo (which he wouldn't care about hurting to get to Cirillo).
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Memory test with or without my first SA (to do, what my father wants, which is to find the rapist) firing?