Sword & Scoundrel v0.1.4

Click here for the latest news
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Re: Sword & Scoundrel v0.1.4

Post by Benedict »

So far I really like how things are turning out. :D

Some "complaints":
  • Flame/Wave pattern blades will be included in a later update?
  • Sword-breakers? Trident daggers?
  • What about man catchers?
  • What about pavise shields?
  • A bit niche for some, but Bow Codex cannot create a daikyu at all. :cry:
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Minor nitpicks:

Codex Hafted:
Flail gives Flexible.
Pleasant Flail says it is "Chain"

Ammunition:
Bullets listed for Sling or Slurbow.
Should be Bullets listed for Sling or STONEBOW

And I'll just bring up again incase it got missed. I think Belt Hook is supposed to be BTV+2 or +3, compared to Goat's Foot BTV+1.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Benedict wrote:Flame/Wave pattern blades will be included in a later update?
Benedict wrote:A bit niche for some, but Bow Codex cannot create a daikyu at all. :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=422&p=8683#p8683
Benedict wrote:Sword-breakers? Trident daggers?
That's something I've thought about, but have yet to come to a great solution for mechanically.
Benedict wrote:What about man catchers?
Another extremely niche weapon where the implementation requires us to create more mechanics specifically to make it work. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it work if someone comes up with a light-weight solution but its towards the bottom of my list of things to spend dev-time on. As an aside, has anyone actually seen one used in a game? I'm not sure I've ever actually seen it happen.
Benedict wrote:What about pavise shields?
Pavises are weird as they aren't so much shields as portable cover. Even by "Adventuring" standards, it's more of a battlefield accessory than a shield someone would just carry to be carrying. If someone really wanted one, though, I'd just make it up as a Large Shield and let them stick it in the ground if they want.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
dysjunct
Journeyman

Post by dysjunct »

In D&D, a friend once made a ranger who dual-wielded a mancatcher and a net. I'm not sure he was serious though.
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Apparently, you can have both Wave and Curved in a historical weapon.

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Since we miss Maneuvers I can only guestimate.
Agamemnon wrote:
That's something I've thought about, but have yet to come to a great solution for mechanically.
For Trident Dagger/Swordbreaker I'd go with someting like this:

BLADED WEAPONS FEATURES
Multiple Protrusions: -1 Swing, Gains Hook, Hand-Short blades only, r1.
Agamemnon wrote:
Benedict wrote:What about man catchers?
Another extremely niche weapon where the implementation requires us to create more mechanics specifically to make it work. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it work if someone comes up with a light-weight solution but its towards the bottom of my list of things to spend dev-time on. As an aside, has anyone actually seen one used in a game? I'm not sure I've ever actually seen it happen.

I've had a player once ask for it. When setting-appropriate it's one of my favorite MOs for catching PCs alive. It's been a staple in my arsenal for years. :twisted:

HAFTED WEAPON HEAD - TOP
Mancatcher: 0b/0b, Mancatcher

Melee Weapon Trait
Mancatcher: Thrusts have access to Grab* and Hold*. Hold additionally inflicts -1p per Tempo opposed, metal or rigid armor completely ignores damage regardless of MoS.
*or the equivalent 'Scoundrels maneuvers
― Touchstone
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

Benedict wrote:Since we miss Maneuvers I can only guestimate.
Agamemnon wrote:
For Trident Dagger/Swordbreaker I'd go with someting like this:

BLADED WEAPONS FEATURES
Multiple Protrusions: -1 Swing, Gains Hook, Hand-Short blades only, r1.
are you sure Hook is the right expression for this? if the new hook maneuver equivalent is anything like the last one, it might be a tad strange.
Benedict wrote: I've had a player once ask for it. When setting-appropriate it's one of my favorite MOs for catching PCs alive. It's been a staple in my arsenal for years. :twisted:

HAFTED WEAPON HEAD - TOP
Mancatcher: 0b/0b, Mancatcher

Melee Weapon Trait
Mancatcher: Thrusts have access to Grab* and Hold*. Hold additionally inflicts -1p per Tempo opposed, metal or rigid armor completely ignores damage regardless of MoS.
*or the equivalent 'Scoundrels maneuvers
that's surprisingly straightforward! :D
(that said i'm not a fan of this weapon, brr)
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

nemedeus wrote:are you sure Hook is the right expression for this? if the new hook maneuver equivalent is anything like the last one, it might be a tad strange.
Ofc I'm not sure. It was the first thing I said. :D
Benedict wrote:Since we miss Maneuvers I can only guestimate.
Both Ideas are based on 'Bastards maneuvers, if things don't work that way switch to the most appropriate maneuver(s).
― Touchstone
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Hi! Long time, no see :)

I am still quite busy but I had a chance to read the Book I of the current manuscript and some feedback.

I have to say I really liked the conflict chapter. I like how PCs are presented as competent and that should they fail, it is because of changing situation and not just because they were not good enough. Obviously this can't apply to everything, sometimes character is just not strong enough to move a boulder and there is nothing wrong with that or that they just don't know something. But they basic idea and that it is written down is good.

I am not certain that it is necessary to have a rule for tapping and supping but perhaps there is something I didn't understand.

What I really loved was cascading rolls.

What I found interesting is that BTN in the new version gives a success in over 50% of rolls as opposed to previous version.

So far I am really digging on this, like the previous version.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Hey Marras, welcome back!
Marras wrote:I am not certain that it is necessary to have a rule for tapping and supping but perhaps there is something I didn't understand.
Tapping is a pretty big part of this edition. It has largely taken over Edges and Flaws and some other systems.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Marras wrote:Hi! Long time, no see :)
Long time, no see indeed! glad to see you around!
Marras wrote:I am still quite busy but I had a chance to read the Book I of the current manuscript and some feedback.

I have to say I really liked the conflict chapter. I like how PCs are presented as competent and that should they fail, it is because of changing situation and not just because they were not good enough. Obviously this can't apply to everything, sometimes character is just not strong enough to move a boulder and there is nothing wrong with that or that they just don't know something. But they basic idea and that it is written down is good.
Whiffing sucks and I've seen way too many games played where someone's inability to roll dice slowly changed their concept of their character. "My fighter sucks at fighting." It's lame.
Marras wrote:I am not certain that it is necessary to have a rule for tapping and supping but perhaps there is something I didn't understand.
Tapping encourages creative approaches. You wind up bringing more dice into the thing if you can bring other parts of your character into the roll. It also helps unify what were a lot of disparate elements in the previous draft. Substitutions are just "what do you do if you don't have the thing you need to roll" which is a more or less standard feature for most games in one form or another.

Marras wrote:What I really loved was cascading rolls.

What I found interesting is that BTN in the new version gives a success in over 50% of rolls as opposed to previous version.

So far I am really digging on this, like the previous version.
I'm glad!

Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Good clarification about tapping and substitution, thanks! I suppose that would have been more clear after reading further down the document :)

One thing about consequences in failed rolls. These work wonderfully for action sequences but perhaps in the later manuscript there could (or should?) be a note that these might not be appropriate in all cases. For example I don't know how it can be applied for passive perception checks.
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Benedict wrote:Some "complaints":
  • Flame/Wave pattern blades will be included in a later update?
What!? It took Matt a whole WEEK before posting a video about what we've been discussing? Usually it's just a couple of days.

But then again, he's cranking out more videos now and can schedule them ahead of time regardless of filming date. Yup. That's my take on it. :twisted:

youtu.be/vTruKtn5VSE
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Turns out it's not only swords. Good thing you can mount a blade to a polearm. :D

SPEARS

Before anyone cries foul at those oriental weapons -- they are Chinese -- check out this late 16th century beauty. :twisted:

GLAIVE
― Touchstone
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Those look awesome! :D
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself