Sword & Scoundrel, Book 1 (Not Even Thursday Edition)

A brand new feedback forum for our massively revised draft!
dysjunct
Journeyman

Re: Sword & Scoundrel, Book 1 (Not Even Thursday Edition)

Post by dysjunct »

Not negative externalities? ;)
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

dysjunct wrote:Shillings and Schtupping
Just go for Shoppin' & Smugglin'.
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Technically, the chapter is called, quite simply, "Wealth." The work is going to be divided into several books, each containing multiple chapters that are grouped accordingly. What I need then is the name of that Book, as it's going to cover the wealth system, prices for goods and services, and the rules for weapons and armor as well as their associated prices.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Agamemnon wrote:Technically, the chapter is called, quite simply, "Wealth." The work is going to be divided into several books, each containing multiple chapters that are grouped accordingly. What I need then is the name of that Book, as it's going to cover the wealth system, prices for goods and services, and the rules for weapons and armor as well as their associated prices.
Depends on how the other books are named. Any hints so we could brainstorm?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Benedict wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Technically, the chapter is called, quite simply, "Wealth." The work is going to be divided into several books, each containing multiple chapters that are grouped accordingly. What I need then is the name of that Book, as it's going to cover the wealth system, prices for goods and services, and the rules for weapons and armor as well as their associated prices.
Depends on how the other books are named. Any hints so we could brainstorm?
Honestly, I'm not set on any of the titles, but the books so far are
> Book I: The Basics (basically the section you've already read)
> Book II: Character Creation (self explanatory, including all of the skills, proficiencies, etc rules)
> Book III: Economics (as above - money, goods, services, armor, and weapons)
> Book IV: Advanced Conflicts (everything from additional rules for basic conflicts, to combat and such)
> Book V: GM Material (also self explanatory)

I'm open to proper names for any of the above, really. I've been concentrating too much on getting content churned out to worry on the names of things.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Tbh Books 2 and 3 could be easily merged into one Book. After all Book 4 has Basic Conflicts, Combat (Melee & Ranged), Skirmish, Healing, correct?

As of names here's an idea:
  • Introduction
  • Book I: Of Laws (Core Rule, Abilities Overview, etc)
  • Book II: Of Characters (Character Creation, Classes, Backgrounds, Attributes, Skills, Drives, Gear, Wealth, etc)
  • Book III: Of Conflicts (Combat, Healing, and other advanced stuff)
  • Book IV: Of Arbitrations (GM Section)
or
  • Introduction
  • I. Book of Laws
  • II. Book of Characters
  • III. Book of Conflicts
  • IV. Book of Arbitrations
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Sexier Economics names:
Commerce
Barter & Trade
Goods & Services
Supplies
Arms & Equipment
or some other combinations of above (Supplies & Equipment, Arms & Services etc)

Personally, I'm a fan or boring names.
> Book I: Basic Rules
> Book II: Character Creation
> Book III: Goods & Services
> Book IV: Advanced Rules
> Book V: Game Master's Tool
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
hector
Dogged Bastard

Post by hector »

Perhaps a play on Wealth of Nations (classic economics book by a chap called Adam Smith)?
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

Not to commit thread necromancy, but any word on when we might see some new material? I'm getting really antsy with all this waiting around.
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Agamemnon was running a playtest just last night to make sure we didn't fundamentally break anything with the mod. I'm eagerly waiting for the report myself :)
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
myanbar
Initiate

Post by myanbar »

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of a playable version of Sword & Scoundrel.
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Ha! Three months with the Antipodes and still no new edition. I'm back from New Zealand and eager to see what you have worked on during the last months ;) Hope to see it coming soon!
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

I guess this is the best place to ask.
A trend I've observed here on forums (characters created by all of us, that's more of a dozen already) is to pick a Low Freeman status (Tier 2) and then the lowest Tier 1 to Edges and Flaws. Then such a character would be "blessed" with a dark secret, enemy or something... and voila, you have 12 priority pick points to buy Attributes, Skills and Proficiences.
For example, latest character from Agamemnon himself: Pope's bastard. And many others.
I won't go so far to say that it's a cheap tactic... but I kinda find it boring, when most of the characters are low freemans with good skills and an enemy (I'm perfectly aware that that was kinda imposed by the theme of the campaigns we decided to have, but still)
Anyway, do you find it a problem?
I've heard the Flaws are going to work differently now, under S&S. How will it change this situation?
taelor
Journeyman

Post by taelor »

Edges and Flaws are very dump-staty in the current draft. I seem to remember one of Higgins or Agamemnon saying that they would be reworked in the upcoming release. (Personally, I like the Burning Wheels approach of just giving you trait points, and you can spend them how you want; if being blind or having a nemesis or what have you is really important to the character, then spend the trait points just like anything else). As for everyone taking low freeman, I think that's sort of encouraged by the conceit of the game; you don't see many people who are simultaneously members of the ruling class and scoundrel outcasts (disgraced former members of the ruling class yes, but you don't get benefits from bridges you've burnt).
Last edited by taelor on 09 May 2017, 05:24, edited 3 times in total.
GLENDOWER
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
HOTSPUR
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Korbel wrote:when most of the characters are low freemans with good skills
Even with the current build its not necessarily like this. Ofc I can only speak for my self. Ferran for example has Class2 Atr4 Prof4 Edge&Flaw3 Skill2.
Ruthard on the other hand, who fits the high Flaw/dark secrets/enemies concept, is a High Freeman. Class3 Atr4 Prof5 Edge&Flaw1 Skill2. Both of them are low skill.

Demographically speaking Low Freeman seems just about right. As for combinations, they are countless.

EDIT: Now that I checked it's surprising that almost half of the characters available from Floating and The Hounds (Storm's stats are private) have Edge & Flaw 3. :)
― Touchstone