Looking forward to beta

Click here for the latest news
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: Looking forward to beta

Post by thirtythr33 »

Oh god please.

I would actually love a chapter by chapter release, perhaps a week between each, so we can all do a read along and discuss things as we go.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

It would have been great to have the beta for the next week as I am having a vacation then (so, quite a lot of time to read it). But it's not good to rush these things, it always bites you back in the end.
hector
Dogged Bastard

Post by hector »

I get the feeling that the chapters probably wouldn't make much sense taken individually. Probably best to wait for it to all be done ;).
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

PsiPhire wrote:So... any chance you will release the completed chapters as a "teaser" while we wait for you to finish editing the rest? :D
But... that would be like eating noodles and sauce on separate occasions.
thirtythr33 wrote:I would actually love a chapter by chapter release, perhaps a week between each, so we can all do a read along and discuss things as we go.
Actually, nevermind. I like this idea.
But it also would be a lot of extra effort to organize, that's guaranteed.
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

thirtythr33 wrote:I would actually love a chapter by chapter release, perhaps a week between each, so we can all do a read along and discuss things as we go.
Well, we could do that anyway, regardless of how we decide to publish. A thread per chapter sounds like a good approach, especially before we dig deeper into the details.

Anyway, I've taken a couple of vacation days this month to work on the game. Agamemnon doesn't have access to that kind of luxury, but we're coordinating to make the most of it.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

higgins wrote:
Well, we could do that anyway, regardless of how we decide to publish. A thread per chapter sounds like a good approach, especially before we dig deeper into the details.

Anyway, I've taken a couple of vacation days this month to work on the game. Agamemnon doesn't have access to that kind of luxury, but we're coordinating to make the most of it.
Not a bad idea... :D
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

2am. Incorporated Beta feedback. Reorganized a chapter for flow. Double-checked revisions. Looks Thursday will give you plenty to chew on - about 90 pages total, at the moment.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Looking forward to that!
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Super!
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

Can't wait to make a BoB-converted Carbon Copy of Burning Wheel's Character Burner, hahahaha!
taelor
Journeyman

Post by taelor »

That would certainly be interesting...
GLENDOWER
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
HOTSPUR
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

One probably wouldn't even have to change all that much, honestly.
Dice pools in BW mostly go from 1 to 10, which apperently is quite the same in Bastards.
The only real difference is the number of Skills and the Points for Stats.

BW is, by the way, how to do long skill lists right.
The Dark Eye also has a long skill list, but most of them are pointless because you only get 1 to 3 points in them at start and then there's no incentive to ever improve them. Due to the way Skill checks are set up* in that game, your chances to even succeed with a skill less than... about 10 i guess, are abyssimal.

*8 Base Attributes in a range of 10 to, at start, ~17.
Every skill has a combination of 3 of these (sometimes the same attribute twice) which then are rolled under with D20s in order.
If you roll over an attribute, you lose the difference from your skill value (this is called "compensation").
The leftover skill value is the result, and there are no MoFailure in this system - only MoSuccess.

As you can see, it's quite easy to lose all of your 3 points in a single roll - like rolling a 19 vs an attribute of 15, which is high (and you have to do 3(!) of these rolls!).

The worst part: rolling two 20ies is interpretated as a fumble (three 20ties would be a "critical fumble"). So if you already lost all your skill points in the first roll, most GMs will force you to do the other rolls, because you could still roll a fumble!

And, as we were talking about rules exceptions... here's the kicker: When elves do magic, they can replace one of the stats in the roll with another one ('Cleverness' with 'Intuition', to be exact - but only once, so if a spell has two times cleverness in the checked stats, you can only replace one. Yes, that means every spell has its own combinations of stats).

It is honestly the most idiotic way to roll dice that i know of.

TDE is also the least "designed" and most "arbitrarily determined" system - i don't know a single rule that really looks like it was really built by the same person as any other rule, everything seems to be decided ad hoc and not intended to work together.

Now of course i'm talking about the 4th edition.
Cue the 5th, which simplified many of the more obscure rules - to the point where the rules' RESULTS don't make sense anymore, moreso than with the complicated ones.
The authors of TDE are incompetent fools.

/rant
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Edits done and submitted up to and including Chapter 8! I hope Agamemnon is resting well. :twisted:
hector
Dogged Bastard

Post by hector »

So how's part 3 coming along?
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Still discussing some edits from last week. I've made the new chapter edits which I JUST gave back to Agamemnon. Now it looks like we're shy of couple examples. :?

I'll better go tackle that.