The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

Benedict
Standard Bearer

Re: The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

Post by Benedict »

I was searching to possible routes to Rome, but haven't found anything useful as to how Charles' forces were deployed at that time. Guess we'll wait till the meeting of the nobles is over.

At the first opportunity Ferran would like to get in touch with late Rocco's gangsters. ;)
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Benedict wrote:
At the first opportunity Ferran would like to get in touch with late Rocco's gangsters. ;)
My thoughts exactly :)
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

So, what do we do gang? We wait for Da Nu Rulez ™ ? :P

Or?
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Pretty much just waiting for me to respond in threads.

I've been having some personal issues these last few months and I haven't been motivated to continue efforts on my hobbies.

The game will continue to run under current draft of rules until S&S draft is put out. At that point everyone will rebuild their characters for the latest rules.

I'll semi-promise to have a few responses up by Tuesday, and I'll put a higher priority on responding to Floating City posts than random rules threats until the new rules are released.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Benedict wrote:I was searching to possible routes to Rome, but haven't found anything useful as to how Charles' forces were deployed at that time. Guess we'll wait till the meeting of the nobles is over.

This game actually ended up way more historically accurate than I had originally intended. The broad strokes are the same (the kind of stuff you will find on a wikipedia search), but specifics like army deployment and composition are going to be too much for me to try to get consistent. If I get something wrong and you have a source, I will happily fix whatever it was I made a mistake with but otherwise I'm going to play it a bit loose. Also, just because it's a historic setting doesn't mean events are set in stone. If you for example assassinate Charles, then that is what happens in this alternate history. No "plot armor" just because that's how it happened in history. You can think of history as how this story would have unfolded if the damned meddling players hadn't been around.

Do you want me to put up a third thread for Ferran to try to get in touch with Rocco's gang, or is he going to hang around for Cirillo's conversation with Lucio?
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

thirtythr33 wrote:This game actually ended up way more historically accurate than I had originally intended (...)
Ha! That's exactly what I was preparing to say in my the Storm game. But now I'm thinking maybe I should spice things up and add some crazy stuff to my setting... so that would be an "almost-historical" setting.
What kind of games do you prefer and play the most? 100% historically accurate, 100% fantasy, or something between?
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Usually I like to play in a historic era (with no specific historic events or locations), and incorporate the beliefs and mythology of the people of the time. That is to say if I were running a Greek campaign then you might run into Harpies, Cyclops or a god in the Pantheon or some other homebrew monster that fits thematically (for Greek, that might be just about any kind of human and animal hybrid or a some kind of demi-god). So more Odyssey and Iliad than Greek history.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

thirtythr33 wrote:
Benedict wrote:I was searching to possible routes to Rome, but haven't found anything useful as to how Charles' forces were deployed at that time. Guess we'll wait till the meeting of the nobles is over.
This game actually ended up way more historically accurate than I had originally intended. The broad strokes are the same (the kind of stuff you will find on a wikipedia search), but specifics like army deployment and composition are going to be too much for me to try to get consistent. If I get something wrong and you have a source, I will happily fix whatever it was I made a mistake with but otherwise I'm going to play it a bit loose.
As a GM I prefer to set broad strokes from historic sources when they are used, then tear it apart. So there's no problem at all regarding historic accuracy, at least as far as I am concerned. :D
thirtythr33 wrote:
Benedict wrote:At the first opportunity Ferran would like to get in touch with late Rocco's gangsters. ;)
Do you want me to put up a third thread for Ferran to try to get in touch with Rocco's gang, or is he going to hang around for Cirillo's conversation with Lucio?
Ferran will hang around to learn anything it is to be learned. Then he'll approach the gangsters.
― Touchstone
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

As a GM I tend to run pure fantasy, scifi or modern games. For some reason I feel too constrained to run historical games although I have been sorely tempted to do so in many occasion. I suppose I just don't trust myself enough to get historical facts correctly enough so my players don't spot deviations and this alternative history might not work out for me. On the other hand especially as things are as they are when I run my games, it is refreshing to be a player in a historical game.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

If you are interested in the magic Lucio is talking about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_magic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_magic

Ferran and Cirillo, you can make a Connections roll if you like (p94). Cirillo would fire his SA with Lucio.
If you roll, tell me who the connection is with, how you know them, and what your relationship with them is like. I'll add some twist depending on the result of the roll.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Marco will tell Lucio about his father's strange behaviour, preferably in private.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Korbel wrote:Marco will tell Lucio about his father's strange behaviour, preferably in private.
I edit my post to incorporate this.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

thirtythr33 wrote:IFerran and Cirillo, you can make a Connections roll if you like (p94).
Looking at Ferran's record sheet, the best bet would be his Trade (Sailor: Navigator), the second best bet would be his Streetwise.

Since Ferran is a stranger to Venice he might have heard rumors among sailors about a specific person here in Venice, or he could have seen something in the port when he was investigating on Rocco.

What do you prefer to roll, Sc+Sailor or Sc+Streetwise?
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

It's up to you. The one you roll colors the kind of relationship you have with them and how you know them. Don't forget to list the modifiers you choose on p95
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ok, I will try Social 3 + Sailor (Navigation) 3.

Relation Check
[dice seed=7728 secure=0273d1c0_0]6d10[/dice]

Possible explosions
[dice seed=55838 secure=04b30847_13]3d10[/dice]

PS1: Don't forget, he's Curious (flaw). That's the main reason he remained around during the tutor-pupil reunion.

PS2: Should this roll succeed my idea is this: Ferran's tutor at navigation often told him about his own tutor, an astronomer at Venice who was infamous for his dabbling in nigromancy and alchemy.
― Touchstone