The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

Post by thirtythr33 »

Yes. Feel free to liberally describe what Marco does to the creature. Marco is in total control of his dream now.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

I think that dream should be sufficient to justify buying off the Vow. Make of the meaning and imagery as you will.
thirtythr33 wrote:What are you guys thinking for the next scene? Next morning, everyone back at Acerbi estate to talk to Lucio, Giocomo, Francesca and Claudio? Who first, and in what groups? Any other plans?
Skipping forward in time a few days or weeks is another possibility.

Also, since this kind of an end to a story arc and the game has been going a while now (has it really been 9 months? Wow.) I would appreciate some feedback on how this game has been running.
1. Politics vs Fighting
How do you feel about the ratio of politics compared to fighting?
2. Story Aspects vs Random
Are you enjoying the game being about the SAs or do you want more random encounters?
3. History vs Fantasy
Do you want to keep things really historic, or would you like an injection of dark magic?
4. Quantity vs Quality
Would you prefer me to post more often, or would you rather that my posts be more descriptive and embellished?
5. Easy vs Hard
Game too easy so far? Too hard?
6. Serious vs Light hearted
Keep it on the serious side of dark or try to lighten the mood a little?
7. Any other questions, comments or concerns?
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

I think it will take a little bit of time to clean up the warehouse but Cirillo will want to see his former mentor. Also, how Marco's father fares, interests me.

About the game:

1) The ratio is fine even when most of us are not at the position to be involved in political decision making but Korbel is an active poster so that's not a problem :) As the combat system is involving and quite dangerous, it is good that fights happen quite rarely.

2) Story Aspect driven game rather than random encounters. Of course there can be random things happening and consequences will "summon" random encounters but this ties character better to the story at hand.

3) I am quite fine with current way but I don't mind a bit of dark magic.

4) I really prefer quality over quantity.

5) I think the game has been just fine so far.

6) Keep it on the serious side.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Marras wrote:I think it will take a little bit of time to clean up the warehouse
This can all happen off screen. We can just assume you mop up, take down the traps and end the contract with Gonzago without incident.

Thanks for the feedback.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

thirtythr33 wrote:1. Politics vs Fighting
Just like Marras. Too much fighting is not good.
thirtythr33 wrote:2. Story Aspects vs Random
Random? Do we even have the time to play some "random" scenes, when there are so many SAs waiting to fire? :)
thirtythr33 wrote:3. History vs Fantasy
Marco's rolling for movement during the latest skirmish is enough dark magic for me :D
OK, actually why not. But you should probably include some mysterious foul magic without giving us a warning.
thirtythr33 wrote:4. Quantity vs Quality
They're perfect. Don't dare to change anything.
thirtythr33 wrote:5. Easy vs Hard
Well that's... hmm. Some of the opponents were really dangerous, many (thugs) not really. I think it's just about right. But! I'd like to point out that we had the time to prepare and plan before every single combat (duels, our ambushes). You should probably ambush us :D
thirtythr33 wrote:6. Serious vs Light hearted
Yeah, keep it like it is. Well maybe some of us will say somethin funny.
thirtythr33 wrote:7. Any other questions, comments or concerns?
Not really at this moment.
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

thirtythr33 wrote:1. Politics vs Fighting
RP comes first. Fighting should be the result of RP, not the other way around.
thirtythr33 wrote:2. Story Aspects vs Random
SA all the way. Let us dig our own graves. Like Ferran did with Gatti.
thirtythr33 wrote:3. History vs Fantasy
I'd love dark magic if it doesn't break the balance. Otherwise stick it to historic.
thirtythr33 wrote:4. Quantity vs Quality
What you already do. It's perfect.
thirtythr33 wrote:5. Easy vs Hard
Same as points 2 and 4.
thirtythr33 wrote:6. Serious vs Light hearted
Personally I prefer gritty games, so it's perfect for me as it is.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Korbel wrote:Well that's... hmm. Some of the opponents were really dangerous, many (thugs) not really. I think it's just about right. But! I'd like to point out that we had the time to prepare and plan before every single combat (duels, our ambushes). You should probably ambush us
I don't want to give too much away, but you guys got pretty lucky in some rolls I made behind the screen as well as in the particularly times and days you did things. Also, you guys have been very proactive about setting traps, which is smart.

If Benedict hadn't written up such a wonderful litany of insults and Rocco got to wait out his half hour, it would have been a horror show. I'm almost certain either Marco or Cirillo would have been spending 3 SAs on "On quite dead yet..." :lol:
Benedict wrote:I'd love dark magic if it doesn't break the balance. Otherwise stick it to historic.
Don't worry about that. I'm thinking of historic Renaissance magic. Namely Hermetism.
Ceremonial Magic (Goetia, Divination, Theurgy, Demonic Possessions)
Natural Magic (Astrology, Alchemy, Herbalism, Humorism)

So it's pretty much "normal" in how someone living in the Renaissance would understand the world to be. It's been about 40 years since the last full blow Inquisition and Witch Trials, but people are still very superstitious and distrusting of Ceremonial Magic.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

thirtythr33 wrote:If Benedict hadn't written up such a wonderful litany of insults and Rocco got to wait out his half hour, it would have been a horror show. I'm almost certain either Marco or Cirillo would have been spending 3 SAs on "On quite dead yet..." :lol:
Ouch.
If this is a moment for confessions... I was actually planning for Marco to jump out of the window to the canal (preferably near the northeast corner of the building, so the crossbowmen would have limited options when it comes to shooting from the windows... and assuming they could see Marco, I suppose the canal is not illuminated), swim to safety, run to Acerbi estate and bring reinforcements (Giacomo, maybe the guards), then kick some ass. If not Ferran's speech, I would probably speak with the others and do something like this, fearing that Rocco might prepare something really nasty for us.
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

Korbel wrote:But! I'd like to point out that we had the time to prepare and plan before every single combat (duels, our ambushes). You should probably ambush us :D
In which case we will probably die. Seriously. :( Unless they don't want to kill us...
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

I see nothing wrong with the story or your type of storytelling.

It is probably not unusual for online campaign, but the pace can be very slow at times. People are busy in their real life and with several players involved (in different countries…), there will always be one or two players not available for a week or two.

The only issue for me is time commitment. It does take a lot of time to post and follow all the story. Unfortunately, I will be a lot busier in the next few weeks/months. Sadly I will have to leave the game and stop posting. I might continue reading once in a while just for fun.

Thanks everyone for their involvement in the game, especially 33 for his great storytelling! I am usually the gamemaster for our local group, so I know that preparing everything takes a lot more time that most players realize.

Feel free to kill or maim Karl if that can help your plot :) And if he doesn’t die, he make come back one day. You never know…
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Thank you, Alex! I hope Karl will come back (we need somebody to set up all the ambushes and stuff) ;)
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Things can get a bit hectic, I hope to see Karl soon :)
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for playing with us.

You are welcome to come back and join us if/when your schedule opens back up.

There probably won't be many posts from me this next week, what with festivities and all.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

I got a little confused, please help me.
thirtythr33, a long time ago wrote:The Italian War of 1521–26 pitted Francis I of France and the Republic of Venice against the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, Henry VIII of England, and the Papal States. The conflict arose from animosity over the election of Charles as Emperor in 1519–20 and from Pope Leo X's need to ally with Charles against Martin Luther.
So, is this what is happening now? Actually, what year do we have now? The Pope is Clement, not Leo?

(it was probably explained earlier, but spare me, must've been months ago)
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Current date: May 1527

Current warring nations (and their leaders)

Papal States (Pope Clement VII)
France (Francis I)
Republic of Venice (Duke Gritti)
Republic of Florence (Medici family)
Kingdom of England (Henry VIII)
Duchy of Milan
Swiss mercenaries

VS

Holy Roman Empire (Charles V)
Spain (Charles of Bourbon)
Landsknecht mercenaries (Georg Frundsberg)

History:
1519:
Fracncis and Charles V are both trying to become the next Holy Roman Emperor.
Pope Leo X, Venice and Florence supported Francis and the Spanish support Charles.
Charles and Francis go to war, but Pope Leo X betrays Francis and sides with Charles V.
1520:
Henry VIII joins Charles V and the Pope.
1521:
Charles V conquers Milan from Francis.
1522:
Pope Leo dies. Pope Clement replaces him and stays allied with Charles V.
1525:
Charles V destroys Francis' army entirely and takes Francis prisoner.
The Ottomans briefly join the war against Charles V, but soon go back to indiscriminately raiding everyone.
Francis is forced to sign a treaty surrendering claims to Italy in order to be released.
1526:
After his release, Francis goes back on his word and keeps fighting Charles V.
Forence, Venice and Francis are on the brink of ruin.
Everyone fears Charles has become too powerful.
Pope Clement, the Dutchy of Milan and England turn against Charles V.
1527:
Charles V is kicking everyone's ass.
Charles sacks Rome and captures Pope Clement.
Florence is revolting, wanting to overthrow the Medici family now they are weak.
If successful, it is unknown which side the new Republic of Florence will declare for.

The Landsknecht mercenaries have been swapping back and forth repeatedly and the Swiss mercenaries have pretty much stayed allied with the Pope.

That was a VERY simplified version but basically, everyone has been backstabbing everyone for the last 8 years. It is just whole lot of in fighting and politics that goes on for another 30 years.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet