ThegnThrand YouTube Channel gets terminated!

Talk about other games and anything off-topic
Benedict
Standard Bearer

ThegnThrand YouTube Channel gets terminated!

Post by Benedict »

The YouTube Channel Thegn Thrand conducts test of medieval weapons and armor for educational and entertainment purposes and has recently been unjustly terminated by YouTube with no warning or communication.
Seriously now, this is beyond absurd. I feel like doing something violent.

Ahem.

To Whom It May Concern: Let's help Thrand reinstate the ThegnThrand YouTube Channel.

https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-rei ... be-channel

And a heads up. Scholagladiatora just announced their alternate channel in Vidme in case anything happens in YouTube.

youtu.be/xIy2IYilI6g
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
nemedeus
Scholar

Re: ThegnThrand YouTube Channel gets terminated!

Post by nemedeus »

Was only a matter of time until the HEMA community got hit by YouTube's new policy of censorship :evil:
minds.com needs to get it's video-functionality working quick, there's a growing market for video platforms that aren't YouTube.
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

I've already signed the petition.
nemedeus wrote:Was only a matter of time until the HEMA community got hit by YouTube's new policy of censorship :evil:
minds.com needs to get it's video-functionality working quick, there's a growing market for video platforms that aren't YouTube.
Grand Heresy technically has a minds channel https://www.minds.com/grandheresy but I've yet to do anything meaningful with it. There isn't much of an RPG scene there yet.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

Agamemnon wrote:I've already signed the petition.
nemedeus wrote:Was only a matter of time until the HEMA community got hit by YouTube's new policy of censorship :evil:
Grand Heresy technically has a minds channel https://www.minds.com/grandheresy but I've yet to do anything meaningful with it. There isn't much of an RPG scene there yet.
good to know! and, when is a better time to start than now? (though to be perfectly honest i need to use minds more myself)
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

nemedeus wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:I've already signed the petition.
good to know! and, when is a better time to start than now? (though to be perfectly honest i need to use minds more myself)
Social media is kind of a hole, from a marketing perspective. If you're big enough that people will look for you and if there are people often enough using that platform, then it can be a useful tool for communicating with your fans on that platform. Unfortunately, we aren't big enough that anyone is going to search a platform for us (I'm 95% certain that every facebook follower we have came from the site or the main page, rather than finding us through Facebook itself ) and minds doesn't seem to have enough people using it to have a role-playing community of any size. I post stuff there from time to time, mirrored from the main page, but the audience interaction there is negligible.

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
FortPwnall
Novice

Post by FortPwnall »

ThegnThrand is back online, at least.
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Many other weapon related channels are getting strikes though. Looks like this is will continue to be a trend. :evil:
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
nemedeus
Scholar

Post by nemedeus »

higgins wrote:Many other weapon related channels are getting strikes though. Looks like this is will continue to be a trend. :evil:
glad to hear because then maybe people will use other platforms more that aren't as trash as youtube.
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

nemedeus wrote:glad to hear because then maybe people will use other platforms more that aren't as trash as youtube.
Well, one of the major appeals of youtube is that it's so mainstream, so, it allows such content to penetrate to mainstream viewers. If only to a small degree, that's still better than nothing.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

higgins wrote:
nemedeus wrote:glad to hear because then maybe people will use other platforms more that aren't as trash as youtube.
Well, one of the major appeals of youtube is that it's so mainstream, so, it allows such content to penetrate to mainstream viewers. If only to a small degree, that's still better than nothing.
That's the rub, really. Minds, vidme and all these other places are all hosts of various quality that will work for giving content a place to live. What minds and vidme won't currently do is allow a new audience to find you. The reason that youtube and facebook have such supremacy at the moment is that the mainstream popular culture is hooked into it, which means that you can find new viewers organically. These other platforms will need to come up a couple orders of magnitude in size and following before they'll offer the same kind of opportunity.