The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

Benedict
Standard Bearer

Re: The Floating City [OOC] [TWO]

Post by Benedict »

So, no one has called him "Master Gritti" or whatever. Cool.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

Benedict wrote:
thirtythr33 wrote:Whew, that's a big post. I'm kind of assuming that Gasparo and Ferran have been researching together and that the information found there was shared. If that's not the case, let me know. I'm kind of assuming the pair will have a discussion but w/e works.
I really like the way you presented this. Unless Agamemnon has something else in mind, I say that's the way it played so far. I guess that Ferran understands that Gasparo is a very private man. I believe that Ferran knows by now that his name is Gasparo Gritti. If he does know that, that really excites his Curiosity. Meaning a post where Ferran sticks his nose in. :lol:

Just let me know if its appropriate.
thirtythr33 wrote:Thanks for being patient.
Thanks for doing what you do. :)
That all sounds about right. Gasparo would alternate between assisting Ferran, and doing any work Maestro Giovanni might have for him. During the latter, he is almost certainly relating to his master what information the Catalan is digging into and has unearthed.

Insofar as his heritage, Gasparo wouldn't bring out that bit of information. Ferran would almost certainly know that Gasparo was a bastard, though. That sort of thing is small talk among the servant-folk. I imagine along with that smalltalk is popular speculation about the potential parents. The consensus seems to be that a man with Gasparo's demeanor and learning must have had SOME important heritage, but who or what that might be ranges from foreign kings to the Pope himself. None of this is ever taken particularly seriously, however, and it's never spoken of in earshot of Gasparo himself.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Screw the side scenes. I'm just pushing this game forward to the big stuff.

Ferran and Gasparo can feel free to have a conversation in Research thread out of continuity if you like.

Hold onto your butts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Agreed. Too many things to do. Idle chat can wait. ;)
― Touchstone
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Korbel wrote:we need to go back there as soon as possible
Indeed. Is Ferran fit to travel yet?
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Ferran was healed to a level 4 wound (with no successes yet)
and has recovered 4 blood in the days waiting.
And he is 4/7 days to his recuperation check.
Same blood and times for Giorgio.

Both Giorgio and Ferran could travel, but those days don't count for whole recuperation days unless they are on a horse, boat or wagon the entire time. Travel by foot is "strenuous activity" and only counts for half recuperation.

Also, with Ferran's binge in the library he can start putting points into Lore (Occult) if he chooses (or after S&S rebuild).
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Determined earlier:
thirtythr33 wrote:Travel:
Quick boat trip to mainland (~1hr) and then ~150km over land. Reasonably flat and many roads.

Horse with baggage or rider ~10km/hr (need separate horses for baggage and riders)
Hard riding horse speed ~20km/hr (requires changing horses each ~40km)
Emergency riding horse speed ~40km/hr (requires changing horses each ~15km)

I think on a horse you would normally take 2 days at a casual speed. That means you don't risk the horses health, you have some time to stop for meals, you don't have to ride in the dark and you can take little bit of baggage (your armor would definitely be a good idea). A single 15hr ride is pushing it to the limits but possible, albeit risky.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Assuming we leave early (let's say 6 AM), we'd need to move faster then regular speed... but probably not as fast as "hard riding". Something in between. 15 kilos per hour, so that we ride for about 10 hours, its 4 PM. Than an hour to get to Venice on boat. But, is it possible without changing horses? And how fast can our wounded comrades travel to avoid spilling their intestines or detaching of the head?
Marco will try to get there as soon as possible, even if that means leaving Giorgio and Ferran behind (sorry guys, but that's just how it goes). So maybe it would be wiser to part ways now, and not in the middle of the trip?
Let's say Marco sets off with only one person accompanying him. And they both have one spare horse carrying nothing, so its less fatigued. Half way Marco and his single companion would switch to those fresher horses - so they can keep this about 15 km/h tempo.
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Marco really trusts Gasparo or Gregor?
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Korbel wrote:Marco Acerbi is a son of a powerful merchant, he lives in Venice. He is not really interested in taking the power and wealth (being a kindhearted, naive and slightly retarded man). Now his father wants him to finally become a real man and orders him to work with sell-swords.
Why shouldn't he?
― Touchstone
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

Benedict wrote:
Korbel wrote:Marco Acerbi is a son of a powerful merchant, he lives in Venice. He is not really interested in taking the power and wealth (being a kindhearted, naive and slightly retarded man). Now his father wants him to finally become a real man and orders him to work with sell-swords.
Why shouldn't he?
Agreed haha :lol:

Part of me does want to go back to Venice, but I'm still really curious about what exactly is happening at the castle here. Like, what kind of heinous shit is don Giovanni up to, and does it warrant an excessive amount of stabbing?

Giorgio would object to not going back because he would like to see his wife, but there's witchery afoot here.
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

DannyBoy wrote:I'm still really curious about what exactly is happening at the castle here
Curiosity is my territory! Don't steal my thunder man! :x

(just kiddin')
DannyBoy wrote:Like, what kind of heinous shit is don Giovanni up to, and does it warrant an excessive amount of stabbing?

Giorgio would object to not going back because he would like to see his wife, but there's witchery afoot here.
In that case wouldn't a Witchfinder SA and/or Prejudice/Superstitious/Uncompromising Flaw(s) be just lovely? :twisted:
― Touchstone
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Benedict wrote:Why shouldn't he?
Gasparo and Gregor... they're both fully aware of the fact, that Marco's current mission is crucial for Giovanni and Mirandola too.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Korbel wrote:Assuming we leave early (let's say 6 AM), we'd need to move faster then regular speed... but probably not as fast as "hard riding". Something in between. 15 kilos per hour, so that we ride for about 10 hours, its 4 PM. Than an hour to get to Venice on boat. But, is it possible without changing horses? And how fast can our wounded comrades travel to avoid spilling their intestines or detaching of the head?
Technically, they can travel as fast as you need to. They just don't get to count the day (or week?) for recuperation.
Korbel wrote:Marco will try to get there as soon as possible, even if that means leaving Giorgio and Ferran behind (sorry guys, but that's just how it goes). So maybe it would be wiser to part ways now, and not in the middle of the trip?
Let's say Marco sets off with only one person accompanying him. And they both have one spare horse carrying nothing, so its less fatigued. Half way Marco and his single companion would switch to those fresher horses - so they can keep this about 15 km/h tempo.
That is possible, but Giovanni wants his horses back and 1 man can't bring 4 horses back. It would also means the others are walking or staying in Mirandola unless you ask for more horses.

From an out of character perspective, I would rather keep the story focused on a single location until this arc ends (so as not to ruin the tempo of the climax). So if you staying in Mirandola, you will be sitting out for a while. After this poisoning business has been all sorted out, I suspect Marco will part ways with the others and they will be free to either stay in Venice or go back to Mirandola or what have you.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

thirtythr33 wrote:From an out of character perspective, I would rather keep the story focused on a single location until this arc ends (so as not to ruin the tempo of the climax). So if you staying in Mirandola, you will be sitting out for a while. After this poisoning business has been all sorted out, I suspect Marco will part ways with the others and they will be free to either stay in Venice or go back to Mirandola or what have you.
Which means that we could skip and go to where we enter Venice, unless you have something planned for the road, correct?
― Touchstone