[Act 2] [Scene 9] [Revelations]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 2] [Scene 9] [Revelations]

Post by thirtythr33 »

It is the night of the syzergy and Don Giovanni has promised that he will know the identity of the poisoner the hour after midnight. The sky is dark and cloudy, being pierced only occasionally by a flash of lightning. The wind howls and rain lashes with clouds fully blocking out the moon that is purported to be directly overhead. Standing in the rain is Gregor, miserably cold and wet. Giovanni had ordered Gregor to stand guard outside the door to his tower and to allowing none to enter; not even Gasparo or Marco.

In anticipation of the news Marco, Ferran, Gasparo and Giorgio have taken refuge from the weather in the great hall. The hall is empty, except for yourselves and an occasional servant making their way to or from the kitchen. The light from the roaring fireplace casts long dark shadows around the rafters and the silhouettes of the tables dance across the floor.

Suddenly the door to the tower bursts open and Giovanni stumbles out in like a drunkard. He is soaking wet and shivering, despite having just come out of his tower. He grunts to Gregor "Come on." as he lurches his way towards the great hall. He throws open the doors, dripping water everywhere. He looks around the hall, taking in the faces of the people there and looks as if he is fighting back the urge to vomit. He puts a hand on the doorway to straighten himself and despair covers his face. "Lucio." He gasps. "The poisoner is Lucio Monte."
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: [Act 2] [Scene 9] [Revelations]

Post by Korbel »

Despite his status, Marco doesn't wait for someone to assist Maestro, but steps closer and offers him a helping hand.

"B-but how is that even possible? He was away for the whole time!"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Giovanni takes Marco's hand and slumps heavily into a chair and begins rubbing warmth back into his hands. "That, I don't know. When trying to ascertain the physical method, I received conflicting indications. Perhaps multiple methods were used or the questions I asked were otherwise based on false assumptions. The answers I find are by their nature esoteric and pedantic. What I can tell you for certain is that Lucio has had full knowledge of the cause of your father's illness since it began and his heart is tormented by the guilt that fills it."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ferran exchanges a worried glance with Giorgio. The Catalan steps forward.

"That doesn't make him the poisoner. Knowing is one thing. Doing is another. But I have a question Maestro. It was Monte himself that urged us to seek less mundane means of detection. Why would he guide us such if he is the poisoner?

The way I see it there are two possibilities.

The first is that he is as much a victim as Maestro Claudio himself is. And he wanted us to expose the poisoner for him.

There is a second possibility I don't even want to consider. He wanted to have us away so he could complete the vile deed. Because he is either mad or has a sure way to elude us. But that means that he had aid inside the Acerbi household, because he was away the whole time."

Ferran turns directly to Marco.

"Pardon me senor for my crude manners. But it is essential to think clearly. Who would benefit the most by your father's passing or by his insanity?"
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"I have no idea, Ferran" - Marco responds with worried face - "May be someone in Venice, eager to take his place... but it could also be an external opponent, willing to cripple Venice. Anyway, we need to go back there as soon as possible!"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Don Giovanni shakes water from his hair as he makes his way over to the fireplace. "Alas, I am sure he is complicit. I glimpsed into his heart and felt it quake. He is barely able to shoulder the burden as it is. Squeeze him and he will confess. If you find me to be mistaken, I will release you from your debt." He looks back to the three foreigners. "Are you going to brave the storm, or wait until morning?"
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"No point riding in the dark and during a storm... We'll rest now and set off when the sun comes back."

Marco turns towards his friends.

"Ferran, Giorgio... I've said: we will - but are you willing to go with me? You should rest"
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ferran reflexively reaches for his throat, but stops. He throws a side glance to Giorgio who responds with a nod.

"'Tis true, we both need rest. I don't know what good you can expect from a gutted "tailor" and a nearly decapitated deck hand. Still, we've been through much senor. Leaving you alone feels wrong. If we had horses for the road it'd be something. For I'm unsure if any of us could survive travelling by foot to Venice."
― Touchstone
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Don Giovanni stands and speaks directly to Marco. "You can make use of five from the stables. Gasparo and Gregor will accompany you and return with the horses once your crisis has been averted and the debt settled."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

"Then it is decided. We ride tomorrow for Venice."
― Touchstone
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Gregor flinches when Giovanni tells the Venetians that he was to accompany them. Leave this household? An island of safety within a country full of people wanting to kill the lone deserter. God truly knows no mercy...
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

"I'm at your service as always master Marco," Giorgio bowed his head slightly "it would not do to leave you now. Besides, my wife still lives in your fathers home." He gave a small shrug at that.

"And I'll have you know Ferran, that I was voted 'best dressed' by my brothers in arms three years in a row."
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

Ferran smiles and pats Giorgio on the shoulder. Given their height difference it's rather comical.

"I bet you were. Trust me, I can't think of anyone better than the 'best dressed' swordsman to guard my back. Or senor Marco's."
― Touchstone
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Gregor can't help but smile as well: "And believe me, there were many well-dressed men among the Landsknechts, including me. After the plundering of many an Italian cloth-trader, silk and dyed linen was available in abundance."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

The group of go your separate ways until morning. Some to prepare for the trip, others to get a few hours sleep before the arduous journey at first light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giovanni returns to his tower to change into dry cloths and then summons Gregor and Gasparo have a private word with them. He doesn't deign to apologize or justify his decision to send the two of you to Venice on such short notice. Instead, he goes on to elaborate on the duties he expects from you. "I have some concern that what Marco finds in Venice may give him cause to reconsider upholding his end of the bargain. See to it that he keeps his word to have Venice support the Medici in Florence."

"As for his mercenary, Giorgio... We don't need him telling every tavern wench and farm-hand of his suspicions and attracting unnecessary attention." He gives a nod to Gregor's flamberge. "Make sure he is quiet, one way or another." He ponders for a moment. "And one last thing, as a favor really. Kill Ambrogio if you get the opportunity. He may try to make contact with Ferran." A smile breaks out across Giovanni's face.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet