[Act 1] [Scene 13] [Trial by combat]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 1] [Scene 13] [Trial by combat]

Post by thirtythr33 »

Marco and Cirillo rise well before dawn and find Giacomo waiting to see them off. He is red eyed and disheveled; nothing like his usual trim and proper self. He doesn't confront Marco, but instead asks for a private word with Cirillo.

When the two are alone he says to Cirillo. "You have sworn an oath to my family to keep us safe." He hands to Cirillo a flowing white towel; one that might be used to signal a surrender. "Make sure you put an end to this duel before Blasio gets the chance. If you do everything within your power to bring my brother home today, I will see to it that you are handsomely rewarded."
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: The Floating City [Scene 13] [Trial by combat]

Post by Korbel »

Giacomo's behavior makes Marco even more nervous. But what can he do? This day he tries to dress as best as he can, as if it was... well, it's gonna be his day. His day and his revenge on Blasio!
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Cirillo and Marco gather their belongings, medical supplies, a lantern, two rapiers and anything else they will need.

You take a small row boat out to Campalto Island, using your lantern and the barest hints of the rising sun to find your way. You drag your vessel up the shore on the small sandy beach on the Southern end of the island. The grass is untended, wild and unkempt. A few trees litter the shore, a home to some birds making their first song of the day. Further inland is a dark silhouette of a ruined building. As you make your way towards it, a light bursts forth and you see Enrico lifting up a lantern. Next to him Blasio is seated on some crumbling brickwork, wrapped in a heavy cloak. Blasio doesn't acknowledge your approach.

Enrico approaches, holding his lantern high. "Good morning Cirillo." He turns his back towards Marco, to make it clear he addresses Cirillo but allows Marco to listen to the conversation. "Is there nothing that can be done to dissuade this madness? Blasio is willing to forgive this misunderstanding - and even assist you in your investigations - if Marco will only retract his accusations."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo assures Giacomo that he does his best to keep Marco safe, takes the white towel solemnly and heads out with Marco.

To Enciro:

"Good Morning Enrico!", Cirillo answers politely and listens what he has to say and nods when Encrico finishes. "Very well, I will have a word with Marco and come to give the answer shortly.". Cirillo gives a small bow to Enrico indicating he can go to Blasio. Cirillo waits until they are in private.

"Marco, this is it then. Are you sure you want to go through this? You heard Enrico, there is still a way out of this. I know this is a thing between gentlemen but please, consider. No matter what is your decision, I will deliver it.", Cirillo looks at his friend hoping he backs from the duel but deep inside he knows that he hopes in vain.
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"And let this bastard go unpunished? No, I will not back down."
Marco is much more serious than usual.
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo nods at Marco "As you wish, my fried. I'll tell Enrico." then he walks towards Encrico.

"Enrico, Marco won't back down. Unless Blasio wants to let it be, we will proceed.".
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Enrico nods. "Very well."

Enrico presents to Cirillo the two rapiers that Blasio will be using. The pair are identical and are beautifully crafted with elegant basket hilts. He then inspects Marco's swords and appears satisfied. Enrico respectfully asks Marco to open his shirt, so that he may confirm he is not wearing any armor. He takes Cirillo to Blasio to repeat the process. Judging by Enrico's apparent familiarity and easy with the procedures surrounding the duel you get the impression that he has done this before. All the while Blasio has not said a word.

Enrico gathers everyone together for the first time and says "The duel today will continue until either a combatant raises a hand in surrender, says 'I Yield' or until their second throws across the field a white towel. If someone falls to the ground unconscious, it is the responsibility of the second to throw the towel; not the judgement of the combatant to determine if the fight is over."

Marco and Blasio are taken to their positions facing each other a dozen paces apart. Blasio throws off his heavy cloak and takes the pair of rapiers from Enrico. He gives them a few practice cuts in the air and tests their weight in his hands. Enrico waits for Marco to ready himself and he announces. "Are you ready gentlemen? On your guard! Ready! Fence!"

Blasio drops into a low stance, keeping his right hand rapier low and pointed at groin height. His left hand hold the other rapier high and pointed down, guarding his head from attacks.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Just like Blasio, Marco doesn't say a word. He is watching the procedure nervously, but with curiosity as well. He has never seen a real duel - and now he is one of the combatants!

When he gets the swords, he's a little confused. He knows rapiers, but wielding two at a time? He tries to mimic Blasio's movements of preparation and waits for the signal.

And then everything happens in a second or two. Marco unceremoniously charges thrusting low, with all his anger erupting. Blasio parries the blow wide and attempts a vicious counter, but Marco is faster. He attacks again, catching Blasio unprepared and thrusting to his knee with full force. The sword fractures the bones and Blasio loses his base. While falling he helplessly tries to reach Marco's chest, but fails.

Marco is standing shocked and watching as Blasio screams from pain.
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo watches the duel begin almost as nervous as Marco seems to be and feels like a giant weight has been lifted from his heart as Marco fells Blasio. Now he just watches and waits for Enrico to throw in the towel.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Blasio shouts in anger before throwing his rapier aside and clutches at his broken knee. "I yield!" Blasio cries as he writhes in agony.

Enrico stands still for a few moments, completely stunned. For the first time he seems to not know what to do. He throws the white towel into the air and rushes to his brother's side. Enrico seems to gather his senses and pulls a knife from his belt and cuts away Blasio's trousers above the knee, all the while Blasio shouts obscenities. Enrico takes off his cloak and uses it to wrap up his brother's knee. "Come on Blasio." He says "I need to get you back to the mainland." He hoists Blasio up onto his shoulder.

As the two hobble away towards their rowing boat you hear Blasio's sobs slowly turn into laughter. He throws his head back and shouts up into the morning sky "Oh Lord! How dare I put to the test Your watchful eye. If only You had slept in this morn." He sighs. "But then, who would watch the games I play?" Enrico dumps Blasio into their boat and says "Be quiet you damned fool."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Giacomo... maybe you should help them? I'll go back with Cirillo" Marco's voice is calm, surprisingly. He looks at the swords in his hands, almost with disgust, and heads to the other boat.
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

"I am sure they will manage.", Cirillo answers while getting to the boat happy because it was not Marco who got wounded.