[Act 1] [Scene 11] [Nicolo Gonzago]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 1] [Scene 11] [Nicolo Gonzago]

Post by thirtythr33 »

Marco and Cirillo return to the Acerbi estate having organised the duel to take place the next day outside the city. Karl and Ferran explain his plan for a second ambush and Marco remembers that Nicolo Gonzago has a warehouse he often rents out to other merchants when they might need it.

Those who go to see him find Nocolo down at the docks on the east end of Venice. He is overseeing a crane lowering a huge crate onto a cog (boat). As he shouts his jowels jiggle back and forth and his face is red. "No! Port side I said! Put the damned thing on the port side!" The men operating the crane struggle to comply with his order.

[Nicolo Gonzago]
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Alex
Journeyman

Re: The Floating City [Scene 11]

Post by Alex »

" Sire Gonzago? I need to speak with you on behalf of the Acerbi family."

If Gonzago does not object, Karl continues:

"From time to time, you have been known to rent one of your warehouse. We would need to rent it again for a delicate situation..."

Karl waits to make sure no one else is eavesdropping.

"A housemaid from our household was brutally assaulted. We have been lucky to catch some of the men responsible. But we cannot simply turn them to the authorities because, well, as I have said, it is a delicate situation.

We would need a place to keep them prisoner for a few days. Obviously, you would be paid well by the Acerbi, including a bonus for your discretion.

I know it is unusual, but we have been tasked by Claudio Acerbi himself to take care of this business."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Nicolo turns and waits for Karl to speak, raising an eyebrow when he mentions the Acerbi family. His curiosity turns into a frown when Karl speaks of holding men prisoner, until he mentions that it is on behalf of Claudio. "Yes... I do have a warehouse that could be re-purposed for what you ask, however I am a law-abiding citizen. If what you say is true, I would see it documented and signed by Claudio's hand. Without such assurances that I am not complicit with a crime, I surely couldn't be involved in anything so... suspect."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

"Good sire, I understand your point of view.

I will go and fetch the aforementioned document. However, this brings another, heu, delicate matter."

Karl looks embarrassed to tell.

"Master Claudio has not been feeling too well recently... We don't know if the sordid affair I told you about brought too much stress and messed up with his humours, but he now requires a physician at his bedside at all time. I am no physician myself, but he does not appear to recover quickly. Obviously, he wants to keep a secret and not appear weak to his rivals.

I will see if he can sign the document. If not, I could certainly ask one of his noble son to sign it. And even with the legal document, the Acerbis would appreciate if you can be discrete on the matter..."
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

In truth, Karl knows he may be stepping out of bounds by speaking on the behalf of the nobles. Also, the document might get the Acerbis in trouble. He expects a fight and a bloody one with Rocco and his gang. But he does not care very much.

He is eager to avenge poor Francesca, and this involves punishing thugs who are only remotely involved. Also, he has not made out his mind whether Marco is a fool or not.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Nicolo breaks into a sly smile. "Yes, a document signed by his heir should suffice. Rest assured that I will be discrete with the matter. The document is mostly for accounting purposes, after all." He gives a slight nod of the head. "Now since you will no doubt need your privacy, you will require an entire warehouse, not just some space wont you?"

He acts like he is pondering for a moment but you suspect it is for show. "I have just such a place, but a few isles from here. It has a enough room for a ship to unload as well as a small office. It's a stand alone building with no adjoining neighbors. It does have large windows but those could be covered over with paper easily enough. All that can be yours to use for, oh, say a half mark per day?" If Karl had to pay this out of his own pocket it would cost him a seasons savings for a single day.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

"I am but a mere servant. I will be happy to bring your terms to the Acerbis."

Unless Nicolo wants to add something, Karl heads back to the household to find Marco.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: The Floating City [Scene 11] [Nicolo Gonzago]

Post by thirtythr33 »

When Karl returns with a pouch of silver and an explanatory note signed by Marco, Niccolo grins greedily. "Excellent, you won't be disappointed!"

He claps his hands and calls to one of his servants. "Bring around the gondola; I am sure the Acerbi's will want to inspect the warehouse immediately."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: The Floating City [Scene 11] [Nicolo Gonzago]

Post by thirtythr33 »

The gondola that arrives to pick up Karl and Nicolo is lavish and furbished with pillows and and reclining benches. Nicolo gracelessly lowers his great weight into the gondola and reclines onto one of the pillow piles. "Come, Karl. I will show you the warehouse at once."

Karl makes an inspection of the property and finds:

First Floor:
The first floor has no direct access by walkway.
There is a private dock underneath the the main warehouse, designed for easy loading of objects that can be moved by hand.
The door and windows in the dock are of standard quality.
Adjacent to the dock is a small office equipped with a pair of chairs and a table as well as stairs up to the second floor.

Second Floor:
The second floor is entirely one large room, with stairs going down and up in one corner. It is currently completely empty.
The windows are small and barred with steel.
There is a very large set of double doors that has thick durable hinges and locks, as well as a heavy deadbolt.
The wide double doors open to a private bridge which arches over a small canal that winds around the property.
Outside, across the bridge, is a large flat paved loading area. A crane could be used here to load or unload heavier stocks.
The paved area is shared by other properties and is easily accessible from multiple directions; by boat or foot.

Third Floor:
Another single large empty room.
The windows on this floor are large and overlook both the main door and the entrance to the dock.
They are not barred, but have average quality locks.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet