Marie Lafluer

Discussions from the first time this came up.
taelor
Journeyman

Marie Lafluer

Post by taelor »

I was going to hold off on doing a formal build until we got the official info dump that Agamemnon mentioned, but since everyone else is doing it, I figured I'd write up what I currently have.
Name: Marie Lafluer
Description: A short woman with mousy brown hair, a disarming smile and calculating eyes.

Attributes: (Tier 4) Strength 2, Agility 3, Stamina 2, Speed 3, Acumen 3, Cunning 4, Willpower 3, Social 4. Feat of Strength 4, Balance 7, Health 5, Knockdown 5, Knockout 5, Memory 6, Reflexes 6, Perception 7.

Background: Ward of the Church 2.
Trade: Spy 3.
Skills: (Tier 4) Manipulation 5 (Deception), Intrigue 4, Steel 4 (Mental Resolve), Stealth 3, Legerdemain 3 (Escape), Streetwise 3, Education 2.

Proficiencies: (Tier 4) Saber 9 (16), Knife 9 (16), Default 4 (11).

Edges and Flaws: (Tier 1) Nondescript (Minor), Enemy (Major, corrupt church official who secretly worships demons), Paranoid (Minor, fucking demon cults), Insomnia (Minor).

Social Class: Low Freeman (Tier 2), cashed out.

Story Aspects: TBA.

Notes: Marie was an orphan raised by the church. As an adolescent, she served as a temple acolyte and received a rudimentary educations in the doctrines of the church. However, it transpired that several high ranking church officials were in fact secretly members of a sinister demonic cult, and that she and her fellow orphans were being raised to be sacrificed. Marie was able to escape the blood ritual with her life, but the others were not so lucky. Marie then took to the streets, where she made her living as a con artist. Her silver tongue eventually drew the attention of the Order, who recruited and trained her as a spy. Marie eventually earning an appointment as an Imperial Hound, gravitating towards the famed demon hunter Naith Kahin.
Last edited by taelor on 27 Aug 2016, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.
GLENDOWER
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
HOTSPUR
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Re: Marie Lafluer

Post by EinBein »

Nice one. No fighting force anymore ;)

I guess we should at some point try to consolidate a bit our backgrounds and find some common ground. You have this Enemy, I have the cannibals SA and we generally hunt sorcerers and monsters... How can we help Agamemnon put something together that can be linked somehow?
taelor
Journeyman

Post by taelor »

I've been toying with several different directions to take Marie, but based on the discussion of religion on the Franz-Theodor thread, I've come up with one drive: "God may or may not exist, but demons certainly do; I'll make them pay for what they've done."
GLENDOWER
HOTSPUR
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

Sounds good, though I find it important that - objectively - "demons" - or "God" for that matter - are not black or white.

So, with the "Religion is not everything - The people are"-Drive of The Boy, I was thinking of stuff like that:

Some children may be born as beastmen with hides, tails, horns and / or goat legs. A religious man would burn them the instant after birth, but common people tend to love their children nevertheless, nurse them and hide them from trespassers and the village priest in the dark forests. Are these creatures demons? Are they evil? The Boy wouldn't think so, as long as they don't harm anyone. Sure, conflicts will be unavoidable...

I think it to easy if "demons" really are the cause of anything bad. Many Warhammer writers (Fantasy and 40k alike) take their stories the easy way and have some worshipper or other thing be the root of all evil in the end. Beastmen are bad, Norscans are bad. But why? And are there exceptions to the rule? And if they are all evil, where are the hard choices for the heroes?

Anyways, I like your Drive especially considering the above. Makes for excellent drama when "the things that the demons are supposed to have done" aren't really attributable to them, but to some other guy who was a believer in the State Religion but no one wants to admit it ;)
taelor
Journeyman

Post by taelor »

Here's the current build.

Name: Marie Lafleur
Concept: Hound Intelligencer
Description: A short woman with mousey brown hair, a stoic face and calculating eyes.
Age:26, Gender: Female, Occupation: Hound Intelligence Officer, Faith: Not so much pro-god as anti-devil.

Social Class: Low Freeman (T2)

Attributes (T3)
Agility 4, Brawn 3, Cunning 4, Perception 4, Will 4
Grit 3, Keen 4, Reflex 4, Speed 3

Skills (T4)
Disguise 4
Education 2
Larceny 4
Legerdemain 4
Lore [Capital City] 2
Lore [Occult] 4
Manipulation 7
Negotiation 5
Stealth 5

Proficiency (T4)
Sword 9 (13CP)
Brawling 9 (13 CP)
Default (6CP)

Traits (T2)
1d Poker Face (1)
1dBG The Streets of [Capital City] (0)
0d Paranoid (1)
3d Emperor's Hound (2)

Drives
God may or may not exist, but the Devil certainly does; I will make his servants pay for their crimes.
[Others TBD]

Equipment
A Large, Cleaver-like Falchion
Various Knives
GLENDOWER
HOTSPUR