[Act 1] [Scene 9] [Testimony]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 1] [Scene 9] [Testimony]

Post by thirtythr33 »

The hour is late and everyone has gone to sleep, except Marco and Cirillo who wait patiently for the return of the ambush party and Giacomo's guards outside Claudio's bedchambers.

For the second time that night the sound of men at the door draws Marco and Cirillo. This time Giorgio, Karl and Ferran enter, as well as three wounded men you don't recognise. All three are bound and gagged, one is being carried over Karl's shoulder and the others are lead on foot.

The first is bleeding from a stab wound in his neck; every now and then he coughs up a small amount of blood but you don't think he is in danger of bleeding to death.
The second was once fair faced and handsome has a swollen cheekbone and broken teeth.
The third is being carried over Karl's shoulder, apparently unable to stand on his own.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: The Floating City [Scene 9]

Post by Korbel »

Marco points at the man stabbed in his neck.
"Oh my goodness! Cirillo, help this man before he bleeds to death!"
"Giorgio, Karl and... ah, yes - Ferran - what happened there? Are you all right? Who has sent them?"
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo fetches his medical supplies and kneels to tend to the man's neck wound.
Benedict
Standard Bearer

Post by Benedict »

"These three were sent by Rocco to intimidate the woodcarver not to speak of anything, or so they claim. I can swear the bearded one was with Rocco at St. Marks and his name is either Rambaldo or Valentine. He was one of the scoundrels accompanying the brute out of the school when you senor Marco and the good doctor left the school grounds."
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Great job you three! And your plan, sir Karl" Marco smiles "was brilliant. But what do we do now? Clearly, Rocco is involved. But I don't think it was him who attacked Franscesca. She said the man was of thin or medium build, which doesn't fit Rocco at all. It has to be someone else, but who? I'm afraid there's only one way to find out..."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

The three men look around at the wealth on display around the Acerbi estate while they listen in on the conversation you have.

With a dozen stitches Cirillo closes the wound. If the wound is kept clean and the man doesn't take an infection he won't suffer any permanent injury. "Thankyou." the man says when you are done. "We weren't there to steal anything, I swear."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Don't worry, I trust you. But what is the reason Rocco sent you? I don't think it was him who violated our dear Francesca... then why?"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

He shakes his head. "I don't know about any of that. We were just there to rough him up; to remind him not to cross people that know how to hurt him. Usually it's an unpaid debt or someone trying to welch on a favour. I figured this was the same... but apparently not." The one Ferran recognised is giving the man that is speaking a hostile glare but doesn't try to say anything through his still gagged mouth.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Marco closes to the man giving a hostile gaze and plucks out the fabric from his mouth.
"You do know more, don't you? I need to know, why Rocco sent you and where to find him. I really need. Will you tell me?"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

He scoffs. "Hah. Why should I?"
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Because I need your help... if you don't want to speak with me, I'll leave you with Karl and Giorgio. I don't want this, but if I have to, I will."
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo takes a look at the man whose wound he finished stitching. "Yeah, remember this when Rocco sends you after me, will you? He really hates to loose in an honest game, does he?".

After Marco's comment he continues, trying to support Marco. "I am sure you can imagine what those men are capable of. You can think you are tough men, working the streets. Right? Well, I'll tell you something, these men are veterans of many battles. You must have heard of all the bloody stories in taverns told by some other veterans. I have been there, too and I can say those stories are all true. That kind of violence and living in conditions like that does something to men and it's not something good. Well, at least it doesn't bode well to your well-being. I suppose you know my meaning..."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

The man looks like he's going to spit another insult before biting down on his tongue. He glaces to Karl and Giorgio and winces, imagining what might happen if he doesn't cooperate. "All this trouble for a stupid girl." He shakes his head. "The man saw what he shouldn't have, and we were there to encourage him to keep his mouth shut. But you already knew that didn't you?"

He looks over to Marco. "I'll never understand you fucking nobles. You could walk into any brothel and buy every woman there. What's the fucking point in raping some floozy? If I had that much money I'd just pay the fucking fine and be done with it instead of trying to cover it up. But no, Blasio's got to call in the gang to clean up the mess. Fucked if I know why we even got sent after the witness when we could just as easy send the girl herself out to sea. But I don't get paid to ask questions."

"If you want to sort this shit out with Rocco, we were going to report back to him at the Dragon's Den. It's one of his gambling houses on the south side of Riotto." He looks back to Cirillo and holds his tied hands up. "Now how about cutting us loose? You've got what you wanted and you know our word isn't worth shit in a court room. Either we end up dead before we get to testify or we get framed and take the fall for the lot. Rocco might even be forgiving if I put a good word in for you, doctor."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Lock them up and make sure the house is well protected" says Marco and leaves the room.
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: The Floating City [Scene 9] [Testimony]

Post by thirtythr33 »

Maro finds Giocomo where he expected, sleeping in his bedchambers.

When awoken Giacomo says "What is God's name now? It's the second night in the row I've gotten no sleep Marco!"
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet