[Act 1] [Scene 3] [Saint Mark's]

The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

Moderator: thirtythr33

thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

[Act 1] [Scene 3] [Saint Mark's]

Post by thirtythr33 »

You each return to your beds, resolved to get to the bottom of the matter on the morrow. A few hours later the morning light comes unbidden, a harsh reminder of the realities of the night before.

Rumors of the happens of last night are spreading among the servants. Some gossip behind their hands but most seem genuinely remorseful for Francesca.

Francesca and Claudius are still sleeping. Giacomo appears to have either stayed out all night or else made an even earlier start to the day than you; he is not in his bedroom or study.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Re: The Floating City [Scene 3]

Post by Korbel »

"Saint Mark's Fencing School?" asks Marco with his mouth full. "A lion and cinquedea? I know this place! And Giacomo is visiting them from time to time... So, what are we going to do now? Shall we go there?"
DannyBoy
Journeyman

Post by DannyBoy »

"It is our only lead so far" says Giorgio, who looms over the table with his arms crossed.

"Though I'm not sure how we should approach this. My manners are not the best, but I'm almost positive that we can't just go up the door and say 'Hi there, a woman was raped around here last night and we think one of you did it.'"
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo yawns sleepily, his hair only barely combed and shin unshaven.

"Quite interesting find, gentlemen. I agree that it is pretty much our only lead so far, so we should go and check it out. Still, you are right, we can't go there and accuse anyone without any proof but as rape is an offence and we are charged with the investigation, the school might co-operate to some extent at least. Don't you think?". Cirillo watches all others in the room for a bit and continues.

"Besides, there's better light now and we might find something at the site that you might have missed in the dark."
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

Karl agrees with Giorgio.

"We can't ask them directly. At best, we can ask them if anyone was praticing late last night. They clearly don't want the name of the school to be smeared by an allegation of rape. And we have no tangible proofs.

Maybe one of us could start training at Saint Mark's Fencing School? It would be less suspicious to ask questions once you become a student. Since we are all mercenaries, it would not raise any suspicion."

Karl looks at Marco: "Unless you agree to learn fighting with other weapons than a sling (Karl sights), it will have to someone else. Cirillo, Giorgio or myself. And since it is part of the investigation, I expect you will pay for it.

For now, as was planned, I will go talk to the neightbours close to the crime scene."
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Oh, I can TRAIN with swords, I've been doing this before! No problem. I think God wants me to be a good swordsman, otherwise it would not be hard to refrain from using swords in real fights. Right?"
Alex
Journeyman

Post by Alex »

Karl sighs.

"You are probably right, fencing with wooden swords should not be much of a challenge for a great fighter like you. Just don't come back with too many bruises...

I will go check on the neighbours, and I will leave the school to you."
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Cirillo smiles at Karl's comment and continues "I'll come with you. Fortunately I bought my kit with me, both medicinal and fighting...".
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

Marco and Cirillo make their way to Saint Mark's Fencing School, looking for the signpost. The streets are bustling with people going about their morning business. It feels like it is going to be warm day.

When you arrive you see a pair of young men each carrying a bundle under their arm wrapped in a blanket are coming the opposite way down the street, looking like they are about to enter Saint Mark's. Carrying weapons wrapped in blankets is a common way of transporting arms without wearing them on the belt, which can be misconstrued.

[OOC: Any final preparations before entering?]
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

Marco enters the building jauntily and announces to the first person met:
"Good morning! We would like to practise in your school!"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

As you enter the hallway leading to the hall of the fencing school you hear the sounds of men shouting, the clatter of wood and the clang of steel echoing towards you. On the walls there are hanging paintings of men in various combative situations. Some demonstrate proper technique and others depict men in combat.

A young man, likely still a teen, greets you as you enter the hall. "Good morning! Are you interested in a single day session or signing up for a membership? We can provide equipment and can offer private tutoring or you can join a class if you prefer. This class for rapier started only 15 minutes ago if you would like to join in." He has the large smile of a person accustomed to talking to customers.

Looking around the main hall you see over a dozen men, mostly in light long sleeved shirts with thick gloves. Adorning the walls are weapons racks filled with wooden shafts of various lengths and blunted steel swords. Behind the counter is a cabinet with a glass door and closed with a padlock; it appears to be where the school keeps their sharp blades. Most of the men are lined up in front of an instructor performing drills with wooden rapiers. Cirillo recognizes one of these men as Rocco the Red. He has sweat dripping down his bald head and he is breathing heavily. His big bushy red beard makes him stand out in any room. He is focused on his exercises for the time being and doesn't immediately see you enter.

Across the room in the corner you see Giacomo talking to a man both of you recognize; Blasio Soranzo. He is Giacomo's closest friend and frequently visits the Acerbi household. His father sits on the Council of the Forty, often doing business with Marco's family in coordination for the war effort. The two of them are dressed in practical exercising clothing and have their swords on their hips. Giacomo sees you when you enter and a frown creases his forehead. The two stop talking and watch you but don't approach.

Rocco the Red

Blasio Soranzo
Last edited by thirtythr33 on 17 May 2016, 10:27, edited 3 times in total.
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

"What the fuck...", Cirillo blurts in half voice when he recognizes Rocco the Red and then catches himself before he gives himself away.

Cirillo leans towards Marco as he slowly turns around and whispers towards Marco. "Don't do anything ... hasty. That red bearded beast of a man means trouble."
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"No worries, Cirillo" whispers Marco, winking to his companion. Then he speaks to young boy:
"Umm... actually, I think I'd like to spar with someone. Can you provide padded armors, practice weapons and a referee? What would be the cost?"
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

The young man replies. "Just one skilling per person for the day. You can use any of the weapons on the walls and I can referee for you if you would like. If you would like extra protection, you can also hire a gambeson for 1 extra skilling."
"O happy dagger!

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

"Great! In this case give me a second, I need to find a partner" Marco grins and heads towards... "Giacomo! Giacomo... what a fortunate meeting. I'd like to talk to you - maybe we could test our skills and have a chat? You train often, let's see, how good you are. What say you?"