Play by Post support

Click here for the latest news
higgins
Heresiarch

Play by Post support

Post by higgins »

I created a Play by Post subforum, with the following sections:

Satisfaction Alley: Pitch your characters in fights. Win most duels and become Primus Spurius

The Floating City: The very first 'Bastards play by post ever

One is for general dueling, and the other is for our first online play, which looks to be taking place in Venice. If the name turns out to be inappropriate, just PM me on how you guys want to change it. :)
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
Siggi
Flowchart Sensei

Re: Play by Post support

Post by Siggi »

Pretty exciting! I expect Satisfaction Alley to be really popular. But I should point out that we still need two things before we start stabbing each other: weapons and wound charts. ;)
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

We're working on it!
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Post by thirtythr33 »

On the topic of play by post support...

Are you planning on putting in any rules support specific to the play by post format? I've only seen 1 game with a page dedicated to play by post alternate rules in the back but I can't remember what it was.

In particular it is very difficult to:
1) make simultaneous choices (like choosing what color dice to throw for initiative.
2) have a quick succession of back and forths (Attacker declines to use Position, Defender declines to use Positioning, Attacker declares Swing, Defender declares Block, Attacker shouts Feint! and changes to Thrust, Defender declares Dodge, Attacker and Defender finally roll dice).
3) organizing to get a lot of things resolving in a particular order (waiting to have each character act in initiative order instead of whatever order people post).

Usual house rules are to use group initiative and to resolve action in whatever order they are posted, but that really breaks things badly in Bastards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, we aren't going to be able to use this forum to roll dice on. Maybe we keep the In Character Thread here and have the Out of Character and dice rolling threads over on Myth-Weavers?
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Korbel
Standard Bearer

Post by Korbel »

1) I thought we would just PM you with our decision and number rolled... no need to be simultaneous, as long as we don't communicate and make decisions together, when it would be "illegal" - I think we are all here to have fun and enjoy the game, not to cheat;

2) I believe the best way is to meet on Skype or something... I mean, from your perspective: "OK, hector, now you're going to fight him, let's talk on Skype at 18.00 PM, we will resolve this Phrases quickly", and hector says "fine" :)

Though I never played TROS "by post", so maybe my ideas make no sense?

PS. About rolling: I thought we would just link our rolls here, using a dice roller on the web... just like this:
http://kostnica.eu/roll/56e1928e04bf6/
Sorry, it's polish, but I believe you get the idea.
Marras
Grizzled Veteran

Post by Marras »

Combat will be much more involving than in the one game I used to play in forums years ago. So it will be interesting :)

Personally it is OK with me if the GM will make the rolls for me.