The Three Bastardeers

Brainstorm for settings and game ideas
Agamemnon
Grand Master

The Three Bastardeers

Post by Agamemnon »

Finally finished our 'Bastards musketeers demo. It was supposed to be a one-shot, but we wound up stopping short the first night, the second night they wound up taking it in an unforeseen (and glorious) direction, and on the third night they wrapped up. So this will definitely need some tweaking before releasing as a demo. It might make for an interesting campaign starter, though.

It wound up taking nearly two months as our weekly sessions had ridiculous scheduling conflicts. Such is the way of things, particularly for online sessions. On the plus side, using Roll20 allows me to make an interesting backsplash to look at. Click through for full resolution.

Each of the portraits is a swagger portrait I found to use for the NPCs they were dealing with in-game. I've taken a liking to using historical art when I'm dealing with less fantastical settings.

If scheduling permits, Next week we'll be running The Traitor. This is the demo we're actually looking to release publically, so wish me luck.

Now I've had my fun, it's time for bed. Tomorrow I have to start combing through the small mountain of corrections you guys have found.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Re: The Three Bastardeers

Post by thirtythr33 »

I'd recognize that map anywhere!

I've been using historic maps for a while, I don't know why it never occurred to me to use historic portraits too.

How does BoB play over roll20? Have you made up custom macros or just do it all manually? Particularly I'd be interested to know how you do initiative without having a good way for people to hide dice in their hands.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Re: The Three Bastardeers

Post by Agamemnon »

thirtythr33 wrote:I'd recognize that map anywhere!

I've been using historic maps for a while, I don't know why it never occurred to me to use historic portraits too.

How does BoB play over roll20? Have you made up custom macros or just do it all manually? Particularly I'd be interested to know how you do initiative without having a good way for people to hide dice in their hands.
The macros definitely made it quick and easy. If you look in that screenshot, we have four. Red d6, white d6, Slow-D10, and Die-Roller.

Die Roller is for basically everything. It will ask you how many dice, what TN, and give you a space where you can label what you want the roll to be for. It produces a line of text that will read:
(player's name) rolls (number of successes) successes for (reason you wrote)
So.. Malloy rolls 4 successes for attack. Etc. It automatically counts and rerolls exploding dice as well, which is nice.

The red and whites will say
(player) threw Red (number on the die)

The d10 says
(player) declared a slow-action (number on the die)

As for getting the timing right, we use skype for voice to play, with roll20 just being our "table." We do it the way you'd do rock, paper, scissors. We just count down and press the button simultaneously. "3..2..1..roll"

It's worked very well so far.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan