Sequence roll

Anything related to personal combat and archaic weapons
hector
Dogged Bastard

Re: Sequence roll

Post by hector »

higgins wrote:I don't think we've mentioned this yet, but you can always burn an SA point to interrupt the Sequence and act immediately.

And welcome to the boards, btw. ;)
Now there's a useful thing. Does it require you to have not already acted that round and use your action that round, or is it an extra action? I'm guessing the former (which is what I would lean to).
PsiPhire
Initiate

Post by PsiPhire »

higgins wrote:I don't think we've mentioned this yet, but you can always burn an SA point to interrupt the Sequence and act immediately.

And welcome to the boards, btw. ;)
I see, that is quite useful. With regards to penalties and such, when you roll the white die are you treated as a moving target from the first sequence up until your rolled result? My apologies if this has been answered somewhere already. Oh and thanks for the welcome! :)
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

hector wrote:Now there's a useful thing. Does it require you to have not already acted that round and use your action that round, or is it an extra action? I'm guessing the former (which is what I would lean to).
Correct.
PsiPhire wrote:With regards to penalties and such, when you roll the white die are you treated as a moving target from the first sequence up until your rolled result?
Well, the most common use of white die is dashing to a safer location from one's current position. Classic example is the character getting caught in someone's crosshairs out in the open and attempting to dash for cover. The character immediately counts as moving when the white die drops and once his sequence comes up, he reaches cover. If the shooter's sequence comes up before that happens, he's free to take the shot at the moving target. However, if the shooter's sequence comes up after, he took too long to aim and his target is gone from his view.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
PsiPhire
Initiate

Post by PsiPhire »

That makes sense. Seems like quite an interesting and fun take on the typical initiative system found in most games. I can't wait to try it out!
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

Thanks! :) And yes, I do believe this type of system has never been done before. As such, I'm excited to see what its general reception will be.

Also, another interesting fact is that other than running and the use of cover/concealment, there's not much else the target can do. He must grab everything from his environment to make the shot as complex as possible for the shooter, but in the end he doesn't get to make a roll to resist what's coming at him. The outcome lies solely in the hands of the person making the shot. I've never as yet seen archers as feared as in 'Bastards. :twisted:
EinBein
Sworn Brother

Post by EinBein »

How do you handle shots into melee then? Is the attacker heavily penalized and/or is the chance of hitting the friend very high?

In my opinion, this has most often been done badly... It ends up too strong in most cases or is artificially dumped down by making ranged attacks in general relatively weak (like in D&D; not that I have too much experience with this system).
higgins
Heresiarch

Post by higgins »

EinBein wrote:How do you handle shots into melee then? Is the attacker heavily penalized and/or is the chance of hitting the friend very high?
All the friend does is giving his opponent fluid cover, not unlike the target was running in the woods and getting cover from tree trunks from time to time. The odds are the same... but the stakes of hitting the "cover" instead the target are considerably higher. ;)