And We're Back

Click here for the latest news
Agamemnon
Grand Master

And We're Back

Post by Agamemnon »

Dearest Scoundrels,

I figure you guys are due for an update on things and I finally have some time to write one.

I've been out of contact for a while, for which I should probably apologize. It's no secret that Grand Heresy is a labor of love. As much as I would love to be able to treat it as a full-time job, my bread is buttered elsewhere. Earlier this year, I wound up picking up a seasonal gig. By season's end, it went from being a part-time job to something all-consuming. The last few weeks have been particularly demanding. Fortunately, the season has now come to an end and my schedule will be returning to normal.

All told, I think the time away has been really good for me. It's given me the chance to get excited about the project again and I'm looking forward to diving in with fresh eyes. The next few weeks are going to be fun. I intend to spend some time re-reading all of the existing material, then jumping into the deep end with some serious editing and rewriting. An updated version of the current rules will follow, containing the rewrites and clarifications as well as consolidating the dev-build combat rules back into the core book.

For those of you still hanging around, thanks for your support. Keep an eye on this space. You won't be disappointed.

--Malloy.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
thorgarth
Journeyman

Re: And We're Back

Post by thorgarth »

Any news on the magic "front"? Its one of the mechanics that has me more intrigued.
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Post by Agamemnon »

A whole lot of interesting stuff is going on, at the moment. I've been migrating all of the text back into scrivener. This will mean that the next pdf release won't be formatted quite so pretty, but it will make it a lot easier for me to turn around content in the future -- at least between here and when we arrive at a final draft. In the process of that migration, I've been doing a revision pass of the text. A bunch of sections have gotten clarification edits as I've gone through. Sections of text have been rearranged or shoved elsewhere in the book (such as Downtime being moved to Book IV rather than taking up space in Book I). I've also wound up doing some other fun things:
  • Armor/Wounds have gotten an overhaul. Some slight abstractions have reduced the number of total wounds by a third, significantly reducing the bookkeeping burden.
  • Armor is getting its own codex, similar to weapons.
  • The intersection of reach and AC is getting a bit of an audit to reduce the amount of ways AC is modified.
  • Impact is getting a bit of an overhaul, allowing you to deal impact through someone's armor without actually injuring them. Something you see quite a bit of in actual steel sparring.
There's some other fun bits as well, but I'm going to keep them quiet until they are properly finished. I have dabbled a bit with magic and I have a pretty good idea of where it's going, I just need to get this update out first. Hopefully that will be sooner, rather than later
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
thorgarth
Journeyman

Post by thorgarth »

Cheers Agamemnon.